Thursday, June 25, 2015




 Perspective!


Perspective
I thought it was important to talk about perspective. I am currently designing on several different platforms for clients and schools. One in particular is unique in that most places have a very ridged design requirements.  As I am building out this class in the same successful format I have always used and it works and meets the accreditation standards and as I work away it and actually was pretty proud at how I was doing I met some unexpected challenges. I found myself disagreeing with the client on several different aspects of the design. I  have to say at first I was thinking “why hire me tell me I can create this however I like but change everything I do or want what I do changed.” My pride was taking over and what I was hearing in my head was, my stuff is good, I have done this longer then you, I have won awards for my stuff. Then I told myself Julie “listen” what they were really telling me. So I thought and pondered and when I took another look what I saw was they  were challenging me to go outside the box, expand go more in-depth and push for more than just a patented program that works.  It’s not very often that someone tells you to do this. When typically you are working in a very small outline that you can’t venture out of. So perspective came into play and I started thinking I don’t have to revamp everything just get a little more creative.  I realized I am usually the one pushing my people to do this but it’s been a while since someone evaluated me and my work.  So my perspective is that I need to take advantage of this advice grow it and use it to get better don’t just settle for ok and what works.  When you are working in business you have to have perspective and be able to take critique, grow from it and never be too proud to think you are the best. Even the best can be better.  I realized I am doing this in a couple areas of my life as I had a conversation with my husband about how bothered I was that certain people were not noticing my awesomeness! It sounds silly but I felt like certain people were not recognizing my worth and what I could do for them and it bothered me. Then I realized that I was getting caught up with me and not looking to see what I could use my talents  to better other people not see why people should value me. So perspective again. I share this because if we can’t have perspective and be open to change and critiques then we will never be better leaders, parents, daughters, and sons.  Always keep some perspective!

No comments:

Post a Comment